Casborran to Sarapsap

They tried to rebuild the old town but it never regained its lost prosperity. The town continued to be rocked by misfortune starting with another conflict in 1764, this time between the friars and town leaders. The priests, with all the church vessels and image of St. Joseph, left the town and relocated to Nansangaan (now Barangay Inerangan). Soon came the water shortages, sickness and hunger, finally the local government collapsed and reverted into being a barrio.

In 1766, the residents then scouted for a new settlement site and found one on a plateau farther from the sea, which was better protected from floods and enemy raiders. More and more people gradually moved to the new settlement, which they called Sarapsap, derived from a river or sitio of the same name, thus salapsap means 'cascade'.

With the establishment of Sarapsap came progress and an increase in population. In 1769, Don Diego Ballesteros was elected the first teniente and in 1774, the first Gobernadorcillo of Salapsap. The chapel, convent, tribunal house and a school building were constructed made of makeshift materials.

And though it got razed by a fire to the ground in 1834 and suffered through droughts, locust invasions that led to famine, cholera epidemic and livestock epidemic for the last century of the Spanish rule, the settlers remained in Sarapsap for good.